Cold-Hardy Fruits and Nuts : 50 Easy-to-Grow Plants for the Organic Home Garden or Landscapeby Allyson Levy, Scott Serrano
Cold-Hardy Fruits and Nuts is a one-stop compendium of the most productive, edible fruit-and nut-bearing crops that push the boundaries of what can survive winters in cold-temperate growing regions. While most nurseries and guidebooks feature plants that are riddled with pest problems (such as apples and peaches), veteran growers and founders of the Hortus Arboretum and Botanical Gardens, Allyson Levy and Scott Serrano, focus on both common and unfamiliar fruits that have few, if any, pest or disease problems and an overall higher level of resilience.
Inside Cold-Hardy Fruits and Nuts you’ll find:
- Taste profiles for all fifty hardy fruits and nuts, with notes on harvesting and uses
- Plant descriptions and natural histories
- Recommended cultivars, both new and classic
- Propagation methods for increasing plants
- Nut profiles including almonds, chestnuts, walnuts, and pecans
- Fertilization needs and soil/site requirements
- And much more!
With beautiful and instructive color photographs throughout, the book is also full of concise, clearly written botanical and cultural information based on the authors’ years of growing experience. The fifty fruits and nuts featured provide a nice balance of the familiar and the exotic: from almonds and pecans to more unexpected fruits like maypop and Himalayan chocolate berry. Cold-Hardy Fruits and Nuts gives adventurous gardeners all they need to get growing.
top of page
bottom of page